This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate. Peanut Butter. Nuts. Yum!
I know how hard it can be to get in enough protein when you’re trying to build muscle. Protein shakes become boring and each day you’ve had so many chicken breasts and eggs that you think you’ll start clucking at any moment if you eat more. Well, Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars will help you get in some extra protein while enjoying a sweet treat that feels like a big cheat.
Just use a scoop of your favorite chocolate whey protein and your favorite type of nut butter. I used Isopure Dutch Chocolate low carb protein powder and a natural peanut butter, but you can use an almond butter, cashew butter, or whatever floats your boat.
The bars turned out beautifully in the baking cups but the swirled peanut butter drifted down to the bottom since the cups were deeper than the dish would have been. Stew gave the taste and texture two solid thumbs up as he devoured two of them.
I also added in some walnuts on top because I wanted my chocolate peanut butter protein bars to have some crunch to them.
- 1/2 cup plain oatmeal (quick cook oats)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1/4 cup egg whites (2 whites)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar or Splenda
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8"x8" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe dish combine the oatmeal and milk. Cook for 60 seconds. Stir and allow to cool then mix in egg whites and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the protein powder, sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the oatmeal mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until moist. Pour into baking dish.
- Place peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 45 seconds or until melted.
- Spoon melted peanut butter over the batter and swirl with the tip of a knife.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until done. Allow to cool completely.
- Divide into 6 servings and wrap each serving separately. Store in the fridge or freezer and rewarm in the microwave before eating.
- 6 servings
Hope you enjoy this delicious treat!