I’ve been working on the dining room for the last 6 weeks or so. It’s slow going. I’ve refinished the table and chairs, which was a huge chore… and that’s a total understatement. While taking a much needed break from the painting and staining I put together a “dream board” for the dining room. You can read more about that here.
This is a sponsored post. I was given free material in exchange for an honest review.
I had grand ideas about having a navy blue rug with a bold white pattern and a modern chandelier.
I was going to marry the old with the new and embrace big change.
I was going to step away from the traditional lines and fabric patterns I enjoy and I was going to live big…
And then the husband said no.
“No” to my bold rug choice. Can you believe that?
And I had to start all over with the designing…
A new rug came along. It’s way different than what I originally was wanting and I wasn’t sold on it when it arrived, but it’s grown on me.
The table and chairs have been refinished and are now waiting on new seat covers. I’ve searched high and low for new fabric, but I’m still not too crazy about anything I’ve found so far. I’ll post the whole table transformation process soon so keep an eye out for it.
Since our new design was back to having a more traditional look, I decided I would make over the chandelier instead of buying a new one.
Disclaimer: I know our chandelier looks on the small side in these pictures, but it’s actually the correct size for the room and the table, and it’s hung the correct distance from the table top for our ceiling height. For more information on how to pick out the correct chandelier size see here.
I’ve always liked the lines of the chandelier, but I felt like the oil rubbed bronze got lost in the sea of browns we had going on in the dining room and the glass globes had a tendency of blending in with the wall color.
The oil rubbed bronze was beginning to look a little dated, too.
I washed the chandelier with dawn dishwashing soap and water to degrease it and I rinsed it well so I wouldn’t have soap residue left on it.
I used a foam brush to paint the majority of the chandelier and then a craft brush to get into the tight places. I would strongly suggest using a spray primer to cut down on the number of coats of paint it will take.
Since I didn’t have any spray primer, I hopped right into painting the base coat. Big mistake. It took 2 good coats, plus touch ups here and there in order for it to be completely covered. And the painting was very slow going!
The good news is General Finishes milk paint adhered to the chandelier like a champ. After getting the second coat and touch ups completed, I dry brushed Sherwin Williams Intellectual Gray (similar to Annie Sloan’s French Linen) onto the detailed areas.
The Intellectual Gray was dry brushed on in a vertical direction and then I dry brushed antique white on top of that in a horizontal direction in order to break up some of those gray lines. This created an aged concrete appearance and it looked more authentic than the original dry brushing.
Finally, I distressed the chandelier so that it had a little more character.
I made a No Sew Burlap Cord Cover this morning (look for a post on this soon) and she was ready to be hung back up when Stew got home.
A little distressing to show off the details.
In this picture the table and chairs had been refinished and a new rug installed. The entire room looked so much brighter but the dark chandelier just didn’t fit.
A new burlap chain cover to add a touch of elegance.
And here’s the final look with the newly refinished dining room table and chairs.
A close up of the details.
And a look from above.
You may also enjoy: