It all started on a rainy day.
We went to pick up a French Provincial bedroom suite in a torrential downpour, which slowly lessened to a steady drizzle.
We loaded and unloaded the furniture in the rain.
And over the next 24 hours I did prep work in the garage… as it continued to rain.
Lucy, my loyal companion, was there every step of the way. Border collies love to work and don’t mind inclement weather, so as I sanded the top of the dresser she laid in the driveway keeping watch over the neighborhood.
After the prep work was completed, I moved the dresser inside where it was warmer and less damp. Two days later, I was still painting and it was still raining.
The Two Tone Details…
I never really know what I’m going to do to a piece until I get started on it. I always have a vision in mind, but rarely does that vision happen. For this dresser, I thought I would go with an elegant, sophisticated look. I started out by painting the drawers in Old White; however, it looked very plain vanilla to me so I decided to add French Linen to the top trim pieces to give more depth and dimension.
I use Purdy trim brushes. If you have problems free handing it, then you’ll need use painter’s tape to keep your lines clean.
I painted the side panels and top moulding Old White with French Linen trim, again creating a little more depth and interest.
I chose a Dark Walnut for the top to provide a nice contrast and then sealed it with a wipe on poly satin. The rest of the dresser was waxed and polished to a nice sheen.
I thought the original hardware suited the dresser and I liked the patina it had so I just gave it a good cleaning and then put it back on.