This traditional Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup is packed full of herbs and spices to give it a rich, bold flavor.
Hello friends! It seems I went MIA last week. Sorry about that.
This getting up early-back to school- cross country- soccer-homework-thing is for the birds. And to top that off, the youngest was sick by the second week of school, and the oldest was sick last week.
So what’s the best thing for a cold when you don’t have much of an appetite?
How about some Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup! It’s loaded with vitamins and nutrients and it’s light on the stomach.
You may also enjoy: Easy Pumpkin Muffins and Banana Nut Muffins
The Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup How To’s
As you know, I prefer quick and easy recipes with very few ingredients. However, this Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup has a ton of ingredients. But I promise you, it’s really worth the trouble.
You’ll start off by heating the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chuck roast and brown on both sides which will take about 5 minutes per side. Remove the roast from the skillet and cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces, discarding the fat.
In a large stock pot, add the beef, water, beef bouillon granules, tomatoes, onions, parsley, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
Add the remaining vegetables and pasta. Return soup to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley leaves and in the South, we like our vegetable soup served with some homemade corn bread or saltine crackers. How about you?
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 2 tbsp olive oil/coconut oil
- 4 quarts cold water
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp beef bouillon granules
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bag frozen mixed soup vegetables
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked pasta (elbow macaroni or Rotini)
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chuck roast and brown on both sides--approximately 5 minutes per side.
- In a large stock pot, add beef, water, tomatoes, all of the spices including the bay leaves, Worcestershire Sauce, and beef bouillon granules.
- Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer liquids for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Add the remaining vegetables and pasta. Stir to mix together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
You may also enjoy: